[CentOS] An rpmbuild spec question

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Thu Dec 28 14:18:57 UTC 2017

On Wed, Dec 27, 2017 at 06:09:21PM -0500, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Sure. I think I'm closer, but I'm also at the point where I'm just trying
> things. My current issue, that I keep falling back to, is the install
> *INSISTS* that it has to add a - after version.
>
> %prep
>
> %install
> mkdir $RPM_BUILD_DIR/opt/smipmicfg-%{version}
>  install -m 744 -d %{buildroot}/%{name}-%{version}
>
> %clean
> rm -rf %{buildroot}
>
> %files
> %{buildroot}/%{name}
>
> All I want to build is a package to create /opt/smipmicfg-1.20.0, and copy
> files into it.
>
> What I see from the rpmbuild is
> + cd /usr//local//src//rpmbuild/BUILD
> + '['
> /usr/local/src/rpmbuild/BUILDROOT/smipmicfg-1.27.0-.el7.centos.x86_64 '!='
> / ']'
> And you see that "-" after the name/version

You're missing a lot of package metadata in your spec file.

I suggest starting over, install rpmdevtools, use:

rpmdev-newspec -t minimal smipmicfg

It will create a file smipmicfg.spec, and it will be fully populated
with a mimimal spec file.  You can probably just remove the %build
section entirely, and just use the %install section to extract the
contents of the tarball (or just create the dir and copy %{SOURCE0} to
%buildroot/opt/smipmicfg-1.20.0 if it's just one file and not a
tarball).  It sounds like most of the problems you're having is that
you've got a fragment of a SPEC file and not the whole thing.

Don't build as root, let it build in your homedir (or use mock, but
lets leave that until you've got a basic RPM building).  There's
absolutely no reason you should be building RPMs as root.