[CentOS] CentOS 7, systemd, NetworkMangler, oh, my

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Feb 15 15:31:19 UTC 2017

Robert Nichols wrote:
> On 02/15/2017 07:41 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> On 02/15/2017 07:34 AM, Leroy Tennison wrote:
>>> Too much temptation to resist, I don't know which one of us is older
>>> but I have a feeling it's a "horse race".  Like you, I still have a
>>> land line, WiFi is too slow and "WiFi security" seems to be an
>>> oxymoronic phrase.  Why people text (or IM for that matter) anything
>>> other than a one-liner is beyond me.
>>>
>>> Now for the real issue, what happens when Network Manager (Systemd,
>>> journald, etc.) breaks?  Who is going to fix it?  Hiding the complexity
>>> in software effectively dumbs us down leaving us helpless when problems
>>> surface.  Anyone who has worked with Microsoft understands - give me
>>> the command prompt any day rather than layers of GUI hiding those
>>> possibly cryptic but also possibly useful messages.
>>
>> The people who are going to fix it are people who have RHCE certs and/or
>> computer science degrees who work for the companies running Linux.
>
> Thank you for agreeing that systemd is not suitable for use outside of an
> organization that employs such people.

'Fraid I have a lot of sympathy with Robert. When something here breaks,
we - me, the other admin, and our manager - are the ones who have to
figure it out asap. We do have a few RH licenses... but even so, even if
we *were* paying for a 4-hr response, that's not soon enough....

      mark "I have enough problems with user teams that have *multiple*
levels
                of symlinks...."