[CentOS] CentOS 7, systemd, NetworkMangler, oh, my

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Wed Feb 15 15:30:09 UTC 2017

On Wed, February 15, 2017 7:34 am, Leroy Tennison wrote:
> Too much temptation to resist, I don't know which one of us is older but I
> have a feeling it's a "horse race".  Like you, I still have a land line,
> WiFi is too slow and "WiFi security" seems to be an oxymoronic phrase.
> Why people text (or IM for that matter) anything other than a one-liner is
> beyond me.
>
> Now for the real issue, what happens when Network Manager (Systemd,
> journald, etc.) breaks?  Who is going to fix it?  Hiding the complexity in
> software effectively dumbs us down leaving us helpless when problems
> surface.  Anyone who has worked with Microsoft understands - give me the
> command prompt any day rather than layers of GUI hiding those possibly
> cryptic but also possibly useful messages.

Yes, stepping up to CentOS 7 reminded me MacOS Server which I had to help
my Professor to maintain. For the most part it (MacOS Server) worked and
all was self evident, but when it doesn't you finally have to open their
huge doc book just to discover that it merely explains you mostly in
pictures how to navigate through their GUI menus. And each of them ended
with something like "and you are done". No descriptions of errors and what
to do when one occurs. Because of which (unexpected errors) we actually
opened documentation. (Then we finally agreed that no matter how huge the
book is, documentation does not exist). My start with CentOS 7 to some
extent reminded me this MacOS Server experience ;-) No, not ansence of
documentation, but the attitude to make everybody use GUI. Exactly as you
notice. I bet many users were lost by Linux then...

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago