[CentOS] CentOS 7, systemd, NetworkMangler, oh, my

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Feb 15 15:45:16 UTC 2017

On Wed, 15 Feb 2017, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> My start with CentOS 7 to some extent reminded me this MacOS Server
> experience ;-) No, not ansence of documentation, but the attitude to make
> everybody use GUI. Exactly as you notice. I bet many users were lost by
> Linux then...

Sometimes on this list I get the impression that I've downloaded an entirely
different release of CentOS 7 to other people.

Exactly what GUI do you ever have to use with CentOS7?  systemd all in has
caused me remarkably little bother, getting on and doing what it's told.  I
had some logind glitches, but those were fixable.  I configure the lot with
puppet, and to be honest found C7 pretty pain free as an upgrade.  For various
reasons, real happiness didn't arrive until 7.2, but then lots of that was due
to nvidia driver behaviours with Gnome3 that I suspect most people don't have
to worry about.

But complaining that CentOS 7 is GUI driven I find baffling.

jh