[CentOS] CentOS 7, systemd, NetworkMangler, oh, my

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Feb 15 15:56:45 UTC 2017

On 02/15/2017 09:45 AM, John Hodrien wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Feb 2017, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
>
>> My start with CentOS 7 to some extent reminded me this MacOS Server
>> experience ;-) No, not ansence of documentation, but the attitude to make
>> everybody use GUI. Exactly as you notice. I bet many users were lost by
>> Linux then...
>
> Sometimes on this list I get the impression that I've downloaded an
> entirely
> different release of CentOS 7 to other people.
>
> Exactly what GUI do you ever have to use with CentOS7?  systemd all in has
> caused me remarkably little bother, getting on and doing what it's told.  I
> had some logind glitches, but those were fixable.  I configure the lot with
> puppet, and to be honest found C7 pretty pain free as an upgrade.  For
> various
> reasons, real happiness didn't arrive until 7.2, but then lots of that
> was due
> to nvidia driver behaviours with Gnome3 that I suspect most people don't
> have
> to worry about.
>
> But complaining that CentOS 7 is GUI driven I find baffling.

Exactly.

If I install CentOS-7 on a desktop, I use gui things.  If I install
CentOS-7 on a server, I never install gui things (unless I am doing for
someone who specifically asks for that).

nmcli allows you to do anything you would do in a NM GUI.

But the real bottom line is .. this is not the place where any of that
could be changed anyway.  CentOS is a rebuild of RHEL source code .. if
RHEL does it, so do we.

The other thing is .. CentOS-6 has security support until 30 Nov 2020,
so no one has to upgrade to CentOS-7 or systemd for 3.75 more years.  If
you like the older things, use CentOS-6.  If you want the new things,
use CentOS-7.