[CentOS] Spotty internet connection

Fri Feb 3 01:58:22 UTC 2017
Joseph L. Casale <jcasale at activenetwerx.com>

All depends where and what the fault is.

You can use wireshark to check for duplicate acknowledgements and
retransmissions, that's low hanging fruit.

Two recent issues I found that manifested in miserable browsing speed
where poor dns resolution speed (many tools exist to determine your
optimal forwarders or if you using the root hints it might expose this is
a less than optimal configuration) made for long pauses and a bad cable
for a user. The cable worked, and on the lan the retries made it seem like
there wasn't problem. Over the wan, the retries made everything painfully
slow.