[CentOS] Spotty internet connection

Fri Feb 3 18:51:28 UTC 2017
Steve Clark <steve.clark at netwolves.com>

On 02/03/2017 01:23 PM, Matt Garman wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2017 at 12:08 PM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
>> for Comcast/Xfinity, I'm using a Arris SB6183 that I got at Costco.   this
>> is a simple modem/bridge, so /my/ router behind it gets the public IP.
> Note that some residential ISPs may not offer "naked" Internet, and/or
> won't allow you to bring your own device (BYOD).  At least in my area,
> there are only two options for residential Internet; cable-based via
> Comcast, and DSL-based via AT&T.  I used to routinely switch back and
> forth between the two, to play them against each other for the best
> rates.  However, I had to give up on AT&T because they stopped
> offering a "naked" service.  That is, when I was using them, I had the
> most basic DSL modem, that literally did nothing except provide me
> with a public Internet IP and the service.  Last I talked to them, I
> could only use their service with their fancy all-in-one devices, that
> are both a DSL modem and gateway/router/wireless AP.  I already have
> all that infrastructure in my house, and I trust my ability to manage
> it more than I trust the blackbox firmware that AT&T provides.
>
> Going from memory, that all-in-one DSL service did give me a public
> IP, but the device itself implemented NATing, so it looked like I was
> getting a private IP.  There *may* have been a way to remove most of
> the functionality of the all-in-one device ("DMZ mode" or something
> like that); it's been discussed pretty heavily on the DSLReports
> Forums.  (But, either way, even ignoring the technical grievances with
> their service, AT&T's prices are higher and speed tiers lower than
> Comcast's.)
>
> TL;DR: (1) some ISPs may not allow BYOD; (2) if it looks like your ISP
> is giving you a private IP, dig a little deeper, it could simply
> appear that way due to the way the ISP configures the assigned device.

Thanks to all that replied. I had ran nmap against from the private side and saw it
had a service listening on port 80, so I pointed my browser at it and a webpage
came up. I looked like it was for setting up the "Wireless" because that is what the
menu button said, so I initially didn't investigate it until after I had sent my previous
message. Turns out it gives you full access to setting up port forwarding, DMZ, firewall, etc.
So it looks like I can use DMZ mode an be in business.

Regards,
Steve

PS Brighthouse/Spectrum in my area lets you BYOD from a pretty large list they have certified
on their network.