[CentOS] CentOS 7, systemd, NetworkMangler, oh, my

Mon Feb 13 16:17:40 UTC 2017
peter.winterflood <peter.winterflood at ossi.co.uk>

On 13/02/17 15:35, m.roth wrote:
> My manager tells me a system in the datacenter is down. I go down there,
> and plug in a monitor-on-a-stick and keyboard. It's up, but no network. I
> try systemctl restart NetworkManager several times, and ip a shows *no*
> change.
>
> Finally, I do an ifdown, followed by an ifup, and everything's wonderful.
>
> My manager thinks that the NM daemon thinks everything's fine, and
> there've been no changes, so it does nothing. He suggests that it might
> have to be stopped, then started, rather than restarted.
>
> This is completely unacceptable behavior, since it leave the system with
> no network connection. Pre-systemd, as we all know, restart *RESTARTED*
> the damn thing.
>
> Is there some Magic (#insert "pixie-dust-sparkles") incantation, either
> restarting NetworkManager, or using nm-cli, to force it to perform the
> expected actions?
>
> Btw, if this is supposed to be part of the "hide stuff, desktop Linux
> users don't need to know this stuff", this is a *much* worse result.
>
>      mark (and yes, my manager's truly aggravated about this, also)

there's a really good solution to this.

yum remove NetworkManager*

chkconfig network on

service network start

and yes thats all under fedora 25, and centos 7.

works like a charm.

sometimes removing NM leaves resolv.conf pointing to the networkmanager
directory, and its best to check this, and replace your resolv.conf link
with a file with the correct settings.

sorry if this upsets the people who maintain network mangler, but its
inappropriate on a server.

regards peter