[CentOS] CentOS 7, systemd, NetworkMangler, oh, my

Mon Feb 13 16:49:18 UTC 2017
James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com>

On 13 February 2017 at 16:17, peter.winterflood
<peter.winterflood at ossi.co.uk> wrote:

> there's a really good solution to this.
>
> yum remove NetworkManager*
>
> chkconfig network on
>
> service network start
>
> and yes thats all under fedora 25, and centos 7.
>
> works like a charm.
>
> sometimes removing NM leaves resolv.conf pointing to the networkmanager
> directory, and its best to check this, and replace your resolv.conf link
> with a file with the correct settings.
>
> sorry if this upsets the people who maintain network mangler, but its
> inappropriate on a server.

This is terribly bad advice I'm afraid ...

https://access.redhat.com/solutions/783533

The legacy network service is a fragile compilation of shell scripts
(which is why certain changes like some bonding or tagging alterations
require a full system restart or very careful unpicking manually with
ip) and is effectively deprecated in RHEL at this time due to major
bug fixes only but no feature work.

You really should have a read through this as well:

https://www.hogarthuk.com/?q=node/8

On EL6 yes NM should be removed on anything but a wifi system but on
EL7 unless you fall into a specific edge case as per the network docs:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html-single/Networking_Guide/index.html

you really should be using NM for a variety of reasons.

Incidentally Mark, this had nothing to do with systemd ... I wish you
would pick your topics a little more appropriately rather than
tempting the usual flames.