[CentOS] CentOS 7, systemd, NetworkMangler, oh, my

Wed Feb 15 13:34:29 UTC 2017
Leroy Tennison <leroy at datavoiceint.com>

Too much temptation to resist, I don't know which one of us is older but I have a feeling it's a "horse race".  Like you, I still have a land line, WiFi is too slow and "WiFi security" seems to be an oxymoronic phrase.  Why people text (or IM for that matter) anything other than a one-liner is beyond me.

Now for the real issue, what happens when Network Manager (Systemd, journald, etc.) breaks?  Who is going to fix it?  Hiding the complexity in software effectively dumbs us down leaving us helpless when problems surface.  Anyone who has worked with Microsoft understands - give me the command prompt any day rather than layers of GUI hiding those possibly cryptic but also possibly useful messages.

----- Original Message -----
From: "m roth" <m.roth at 5-cent.us>
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2017 10:07:55 AM
Subject: Re: [CentOS] CentOS 7, systemd, NetworkMangler, oh, my

Johnny Hughes wrote:
<snip>
> I get it .. but no one needed a hand held cell phone before 1973 and no
> one needed a smart phone before 2007.  Now, almost everyone has a smart
> cell and land lines are dying.  Technology moves forward.  People want
> integrated cloud, container, SDN technology, etc.  Used a VCR or
> Cassette Player lately?

I have no intention of *ever* getting an annoyaphone - I'm online all day
at work, before I go to work, and most evenings, in front of a *real*
computer. My cell's a flipphone, and I *LOATHE* texts... because the
protocol was developed for freakin' pagers, and after a job 20 years ago,
I don't EVER want that again.

And my land line phone has *much* better voice quality than any cell/mobile.*

And yes, I very happily have my VCR, for all the tapes I have, and a good
dual cassette deck (OK, I do want to burn them to disk... along with my
200-300 vinyl records...oh, that's right, vinyl's coming back. <g>

      mark, who's older than a lot of you