[CentOS] How to downgrade gtk2 libs in CentOS 6.8?

Mon Jan 9 22:49:05 UTC 2017
Walter Dnes <waltdnes at waltdnes.org>

On Mon, Jan 09, 2017 at 11:24:14AM +0000, James Pearson wrote

> One way would be to do the build on the same OS as the 'older linux' ?

  The 'older linux' is "Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - December,
2016" http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=90461  It's a
low-memory end-user distro, targetted at really old, low-memory
machines.  It can do simple compiles, but it's not a development
environment suitable for building Pale Moon, which is an independant
Firefox fork.

> However, CentOS 6.5 shipped with gtk2-2.20.1-4.el6, CentOS 6.6 and
> above shipped with gtk-2.24 - see http://vault.centos.org/6.5/os/

  Thanks for the pointer; I didn't know about that URL.  I'll try to get
6.5 up and running as a VM.

> Otherwise, use a CentOS 6.5 VM to do the build (with the usual caveats
> that 6.5 is old/out-of-date/etc)?

  That seems the best route.  As it was, even on 6.8, I had to
"yum install autoconf213", and manually downloand tarballs and build
from source yasm, python 2.7, and gcc 4.9.4.  I'm not a programmer, but
I can "./configure --with-options && make && make install".  It's no
more difficult than "yum install <whatever>".

  I realize that CentOS 6.5 is "not safe for surfing", but I'll be using
it only for doing builds.  The build will not be statically linking in
libraries, so CentOS security holes are not a problem.  Lucid Puppy has
an "ancient" glibc, but has backported patches for the "Ghost" exploit,
etc.  Ditto for ssl and other exploits.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes at waltdnes.org>