[CentOS] How to downgrade gtk2 libs in CentOS 6.8?

Mon Jan 9 11:24:14 UTC 2017
James Pearson <james-p at moving-picture.com>

Walter Dnes wrote:
>    Hi all.  I'm using a CentOS 6.8 VM to do volunteer builds for an open
> source project.  I want to build Pale Moon with a gtk2 library older
> than 2.24, to allow people with older linuxes to run it.  Short summary,
> if built against version gtk2-2.24 and/or higher, the binary will use a
> function that does not exist in gtk2-2.23 and lower.  Net result is that
> the program dies with an "undefined symbol:" error for people with
> machines lower than gtk2-2.24.  Yes, before you ask, they do get
> security fixes backported.
>
>    The hits from my Google search suggested...
>
> yum downgrade gtk2
>
>    The response from yum was...
>
> Only Upgrade available on package: gtk-2.24.23-8.e16.i686
> Nothing to do
>
>    Are there ways around this?

One way would be to do the build on the same OS as the 'older linux' ?

However, CentOS 6.5 shipped with gtk2-2.20.1-4.el6, CentOS 6.6 and above
shipped with gtk-2.24 - see http://vault.centos.org/6.5/os/

You _might_ be able to downgrade gtk-2 to that shipped with CentOS 6.5 -
but I guess there may be a myriad of dependencies on gtk-2.24 that
prevent this on a CentOS 6.8 install ...

Otherwise, use a CentOS 6.5 VM to do the build (with the usual caveats
that 6.5 is old/out-of-date/etc)?

James Pearson