[CentOS] Reliable way of having both LAN and WIFI on headless box

Tue Jan 10 20:59:12 UTC 2017
Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer at ngtech.co.il>

NetworkManger should work pretty nice and good as required.
Just run the right cronjob every minute to make sure the connection is up or
down and find out if it's possible to reconnect.
NetworkManager is kind of does all you need automatically so you should not
do anything unless there is a technical issue.

Eliezer

----
Eliezer Croitoru
Linux System Administrator
Mobile: +972-5-28704261
Email: eliezer at ngtech.co.il

-----Original Message-----
From: CentOS [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf Of Gary Stainburn
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2017 11:25 AM
To: CentOS mailing list <centos at centos.org>
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Reliable way of having both LAN and WIFI on headless
box

On Tuesday 10 January 2017 08:53:17 John R Pierce wrote:
> On 1/9/2017 7:11 PM, fred roller wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 9, 2017 at 12:04 PM, Frank
> > Cox<theatre at melvilletheatre.com>
> >
> > wrote:
> >> That sounds like a weak signal from your wifi transmitter.
> >
> > Or signal interference.  Where is the antennae located on the server?
> > Ran into signal issues with antennae which were tucked behind the
> > server before.
>
> indeed, the back of a desktop or server system, sitting on the floor
> (or in a rack) surrounded by piles of cables, is the worst possible
> place for a 2.4GHz or 5.7GHz antenna

The server is in a rack, but the dongle is plugged in the front and is 5m
from the HP Procurv AP that covers the whole of the first floor.

A key point I thought I had included in the OP is that this is mostly a
problem on startup.  It does sometimes drop off during use, but mainly the
problem  is not being able to activate it on startup.

I am a traditionalist and long for the days before NetworkManager when
networks were much simpler to admin, and much more stable.

Is it possible to remove NetworkManager and go back to the good old days,
and still have WIFI work properly?