[CentOS] Fedora bugs and EOL [was Re: CentOS users: please try and provide feedback on Fedora] Boltron

Fri Jul 28 21:11:53 UTC 2017
Phil Perry <pperry at elrepo.org>

On 28/07/17 18:56, hw wrote:
> Matthew Miller wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 06:13:42PM +0200, hw wrote:
>>> What?s the point of doing this with Fedora?  It?s not like bugs
>>> were fixed before Fedora is EOL and all reports are forgotten.
>>
>> Many bugs are fixed in Fedora. Many more bugs are fixed in the
>> upstreams. Please remember that Fedora is primarily an *integration*
>> project, and the best way to get bugs fixed is for the developers of
>> the code in question to be involved. Many Fedora maintainers help
>> facilitate this for users, which is awesome, but the sheer number of
>> bugs exceeds what even our large contributor community can address.
>
> Contributions are usually not wanted, despite what all projects tell
> you.  I have given up trying to make any and keep things to myself
> instead.

The issue I have here is even if I did file a bug, and the issue were
fixed, no sooner than it's fixed fedora updates to the next version and
introduces a whole bunch of new bugs, and so the cycle continues. I
played that game for a while with fedora core when Red Hat Linux died
before settling on Enterprise Linux and have never looked back.

I have just recently upgraded my main system from el5 to el7. I
originally built and installed that el5 system back in 2007. It ran for
10 years without a hitch. I can count the number of bugs I had to file
in 10 years on one hand. Once they were fixed the system just worked for
10 years. If RH continued to support it, I'd still be using it now, and
probably for a lot longer, because it still worked as well for me now as
it did in 2007. I've updated to el7 not because I wanted to or needed
to, but because I was forced to, and given the pain I want another 10
years of payback to make it worth the effort.

>> I know it sucks when an issue that affects you doesn't get fixed in a
>> timely manner, but we really do appreciate reports and it's helpful if
>> you can retest and reopen EOL bugs if they do indeed still happen in
>> the newer version.
>
> It is discouraging to see bugs closed all the time not because the bugs
> are fixed but because Fedora has gone EOL again.  When the policy is to
> have bugs fixed upstream, it might be a good idea to have them reported
> upstream and to restrict Fedoras bugzilla to bugs actually introduced by
> Fedora.  In any case, I have given up reporting bugs a long time ago,
> especially with Fedora.
>
> However, I´m seeing the same bugs from years ago still unfixed in Centos.
> That refers to libreoffice being unusably slow.  This still doesn´t seem
> to be fixed for Fedora, either, because it went EOL --- but I don´t know.

Agree on that. My previous 10 year old el5 install ran OpenOffice
perfectly on 10 year old hardware. My new el7 install on brand new
hardware which is vastly superior in terms of processing power, GPU
power, disk IO, can't even scroll a simple 3 column spreadsheet on the
screen. How is that improvement or advancement?

But if the issue does ever get fixed, you can bet your life I'll be
sticking with that fixed product for the next 10 years, not upgrading to
some other broken version in 6 or 12 months time.