[CentOS] Fedora bugs and EOL [was Re: CentOS users: please try and provide feedback on Fedora] Boltron

Sun Jul 30 12:29:31 UTC 2017
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 07/28/2017 04:22 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 10:11:53PM +0100, Phil Perry wrote:
>> The issue I have here is even if I did file a bug, and the issue
>> were fixed, no sooner than it's fixed fedora updates to the next
>> version and introduces a whole bunch of new bugs, and so the cycle
>> continues. I played that game for a while with fedora core when Red
>> Hat Linux died before settling on Enterprise Linux and have never
>> looked back.
>
> Sure; that's the tradeoff of getting new stuff.
>
> But, I'm not asking anyone here to switch to Fedora. I'm asking
> (especially those of you who are professional sysadmins) to please look
> at the Modularity prototype.

I would like to point out that the next RHEL releases start as a Fedora
release which is branched off at some point in time, has some packages
removed (which the RHEL team deems not needed or unsupportable, etc.)
and then undergoes a process of testing, bug fixing, etc.

Testing and using Fedora is extremely helpful to the RHEL engineering
process, and since CentOS is a rebuild of the RHEL source code, the
CentOS engineering process.

I personally have a Fedora machine that I keep updated and do some work
on all the time learning/testing.  I just seamlessly upgraded it from
Fedora 25 to Fedora 26 using a couple of dnf commands .. awesome
experience actually.

We don't have to pick sides here.  There is no reason not to run Fedora
alongside CentOS, it certainly allows you to understand where the next
CentOS releases will look like well before they are released.

Obviously looking at Fedora 26 and the new Modularity components will be
helpful for anyone who will be upgrading to newer RHEL or CentOS
releases in the future.

A big thank you to both Matthew and the entire Fedora team on another
quality release.  Not to mention the help that many Fedora team members
are providing in producing EPEL and also as members of the CentOS SIG
process.  All 3 of the distributions (Fedora, RHEL, CentOS) are better
because of this effort.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes