[CentOS] looking for graphing tools

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Tue Jun 20 17:12:16 UTC 2017

Am 19.06.2017 um 21:26 schrieb Fred Smith:
> Hi!
>
> I have bazillions of incoming (rejected) attempts to connect to my
> SMTP server, and I'm interested in separating out those that seem
> to come in huge bunches (e.g., the one from yesterday that ran for
> about 10 hours and sent over 4100 attempts), and graphing them so
> I can see the spacing and/or distribution in time.
>
> I can figure out some simple scripting to turn the maillog entries
> into times since the epoch, or other formats, if needed, but I have
> no experience with the various graphing tools availabe, or even
> what (or where) they are.
>
> I'd appreciate pointers-and-or-advice, should any of you have any
> such things to give.
>
> thanks in advance!
>
> Fred

Out of the box: mailgraph

https://mailgraph.schweikert.ch/
https://github.com/schweikert/mailgraph

There are forks which implement newer anti-spam implementations like
Postfix's postscreen.

See an example here

https://mailgraph.piratenpartei-bayern.de/

Something more generic but powerful: Prometheus with Grafana

It works with a time series database in the background and is the
de-facto standard in DevOps environments. With a Google image search for
Grafana you find a lot of examples how it looks like.

If the application does not provide the necessary metrics itself for
Prometheus then an exporter is required. You find some for Postfix.
Prometheus will scrape the exported metrics and within Grafana you can
easily add nice and useful graphs into your dashboards.

Alexander