[CentOS] AMD Ryzen and CentOS

Thu Jun 29 20:53:20 UTC 2017
Yves Bellefeuille <yan at storm.ca>

I have a new system with an AMD Ryzen 1600 CPU and I'm trying to run
CentOS, so far without success. The only information I could find was
a post reporting that CentOS 7 would crash during installation on a
Ryzen system: https://www.centos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=61831 .

I tried updating to the latest elrepo "mainline stable" kernel,
version 4.11 (by booting from a live CD and using chroot to enter
CentOS: that worked), but the system still doesn't work properly.

I'm using CentOS 6 but I'll switch to CentOS 7 if that will help. (But
I assume that if installing the latest kernel didn't help, neither
would going to CentOS 7.)

Any suggestions? Is it known whether the next version will work
properly with Ryzen?

Yves Bellefeuille
<yan at storm.ca>