[CentOS] CentOS 7 install: closest mirror not supported?

Mon Jun 5 14:28:03 UTC 2017
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 06/04/2017 10:29 AM, Jos Vos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Do CentOS 7 installs not automatically use a closest mirror for
> installing like Fedora does, or is that due to the way I'm starting
> the install (virt-install)?
>
> Background:
>
> I'm trying to find the best way to do installs using basic local media
> (network install, but *without* the need to download the squashfs.img
> for every install) but without a full local mirror.  On Fedora (25),
> it works fine using a local boot.iso (virt-install -l), but with
> CentOS 7 you then have to manually enter a repository URL.
>
> I also tried a local kernel/pxeboot tree with LiveOS/squashfs.img
> (the latter similar to Fedora's install.img?) with no result.

Yes but .. closest mirror only gets as detailed as per country.

If you want to add a local mirror to that, then a yum config file change
to add a baseurl to the repo file would be required.  Then fastestmirror
would pick the fastest from mirrorlist (10-15 listed machines per
country) and the added local mirror, which would always be fastest
unless it was offline, etc.