[CentOS] test builds on private server updates (kernel)

Sat Jun 10 21:29:29 UTC 2017
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 06/10/2017 08:47 AM, Andreas Benzler wrote:
> Hallo Hughes,
>
> thanks to let me know. It is good that you have a focus on LTS 4.9.
>
> Unfortunately it is so that the new graphics cards from amd to today are not served in the opensource.
> That's why I'm experimenting with the latest stable versions and what is so.
>
> My laptop has done the linux-firmware update well, it is nevertheless one of the newest.
>
> The kernel and appropriate firmware is unfortunately only the one side of a driver when it comes to graphics cards.
>
> The hardware decoding works only sometimes. On CentOS in the moment not (Radeon / Intel),
> but that is not synonymous the focus of a server system. This happens to me also with the
> original packages.
>
> I give my homework free in the thought that it might help somebody out there.

No problem at all, and thanks for posting.  It might indeed help others.

If you take a look at the git repo for the linux-firmware, you can see
the actions that make that installable on both CentOS-7 and also for
CentOS-6 in the xen kernel tree (a couple of obsoletes and some other
minor changes).

https://git.centos.org/summary/sig-altarch!linux-firmware.git

Keep up the good work.