[CentOS] From Networkmanager to self managed configuration files

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 13:49:59 UTC 2017

On 8 March 2017 at 13:16, Steve Clark <steve.clark at netwolves.com> wrote:
> On 03/08/2017 07:39 AM, John Hodrien wrote:
>> On Wed, 8 Mar 2017, Steve Clark wrote:
>>
>>> Yes it is really hard!
>>>
>>> ip address add 192.168.0.1/24 dev enp0s25
>>> ip route add default via 192.168.0.254 dev enp0s25
>>> echo nameserver 8.8.8.8 > /etc/resolv.conf
>>> echo nameserver 8.8.4.4 >> /etc/resolv.conf
>> This is still a deliberately trivial case, as already said, with no
>> teaming/bonding/vlan type fun in the mix.
> Let us have a vote - how many of us do teaming/bonding/vlans on our servers?
> Our networking gear does that in our installation.

That makes little sense ...

Without cooperation of both endpoints (switch and host) LACP is not
possible (and this is generally the preferred teaming/bonding method).

Without cooperation of both endpoints (switch and host) trunking
multiple vlans (ie the time you would actually tag) is not possible.

That ridiculous "script" doesn't even handle the basic situation that
the NIC interface didn't come up for any reason ...