[CentOS] From Networkmanager to self managed configuration files

Giles Coochey giles at coochey.net
Wed Mar 8 13:54:27 UTC 2017

On 08/03/17 13:16, Steve Clark wrote:

> Let us have a vote - how many of us do teaming/bonding/vlans on our servers?
> Our networking gear does that in our installation.

The majority of my servers are virtual, if I need multiple subnets
(VLANs) then I have multiple cards.
Their throughput does not require bonding, resiliency is performed at a
different level - by having multiple load balanced VMs.

I have to admit, on one hypervisor I use  VLANs, but actually use
NetworkManager in that case - and it worked since installation, if I
have a problem with it in the future though, I will resort to scripting
it as well :-) - It would be the simplest way for me to resolve the
issue - I can't afford to wait for patches to a monolithic, as you say,
black-box system, which is in effect just trying to apply sanity
checking a bunch of scripts in the first place.

I don't add VLANs and Bonds on my servers for _fun_, they are there to
run the applications and infrastructure - faffing around with that once
a server is in production is just asking for trouble.

--
Regards,

Giles Coochey
+44 (0) 7584 634 135