[CentOS] Getting to Mate or Xfce

Thu May 25 17:18:23 UTC 2017
Beartooth <beartooth at comcast.net>

On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 17:13:30 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

> On Sat, 2017-04-29 at 15:43 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>> 	My wife bought a new Thinkpad, on which we had the shop install
>> CentOS 7 (I *think* it's 7.3.) Alas!, I didn't think to specify NOT
>> Gnome,
>> in thunder. So of course I got it.
>>
>> 	I've tried several times to force myself to accommodate Gnome3,
>> always with no joy. How do I get Mate or Xfce instead?
>
> I hope this doesn't sound rude, it's not meant to, but have you googled
> for it? The first hit on 'install xfce centos7' or 'install mate
> centos7' gives the answers in much more detail than I can go into here.
> But basically, install epel and then
>
>   yum groupinstall "Xfce"
>
> or
>
>   yum groupinstall "MATE Desktop"

	No, actually, I hadn't realized Google could do things that fancy;
thanks for the pointer!

>> 	Related problem: when I become root and tell it "yum update," it
>> figures out a list of umpteen hundred rpms to update, but then runs
>> through attempts at mirrors and keeps failing till it runs out. It
>> failed to connect to my wireless router (or even to find it, afaict).
>> So I plugged it into the router with an ethernet cable. No joy.
>>

> Do you have any net connection at all?  Can you see websites? If you
> can't see the outside world, updates aren't going to happen.

	No, and I can neither ssh nor scp over my LAN. We had a lightning
strike a month or so back that must've been right next to the house:
blindingly bright, and with huge thunder simultaneously. It fried both the
cable modem and the router; and I haven't yet managed to install DD-WRT
(or whatever may have succeeded it) onto the router.