[CentOS] Getting to Mate or Xfce

Thu May 25 17:43:50 UTC 2017

Beartooth wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 17:13:30 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2017-04-29 at 15:43 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
<snip>
>> Do you have any net connection at all?  Can you see websites? If you
>> can't see the outside world, updates aren't going to happen.
>
> 	No, and I can neither ssh nor scp over my LAN. We had a lightning
> strike a month or so back that must've been right next to the house:
> blindingly bright, and with huge thunder simultaneously. It fried both the
> cable modem and the router; and I haven't yet managed to install DD-WRT
> (or whatever may have succeeded it) onto the router.

DON'T!!! Try tomato, or some other firmware.

I put DD-WRT on my router a few years ago... and I'm seriously afraid to
update it. NEVER in my entire life have I seen a "project" that a) didn't
have releases, and b) people on the general mailing list talk about their
"favorite" builders and "favorite rbuilds".

Oh, and the documentation? I haven't been there in a while, but for years,
it said "don't use the database (that the main page gives you), use the
wiki.

The "project" is amateur, in the worst possible sense of the word. I will
never put it on anything else, ever again.

In case you're wondering, I have a "Win" laser printer. When I got my ASUS
router, it said it could serve as a USB printserver. I even called ASUS,
and they said, and I quote, "Oh, not printers like those". So I found the
most recent build, by one builder, that said it could handle it. Install
this version, then upgrade it, then upgrade it again.

It does work, for a while. But after a day or a week when I don't print
anything, it forgets it exists, and what I have to do ranges from a
usb_modeset reset to power cycling the router. *Great* firmware (NOT).

      mark