[CentOS] GCC Installation/Repositories

Tue May 2 12:16:53 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 02, 2017 at 01:59:36PM +0200, Sajjad Hussain wrote:
> We need CentOS 5 for a software, and installed CentOS 5.4. But when we try
> to install Developments Tools like gcc it gives error that repositories are
> not found.
> Can you please help us in install gcc on CentOS 5.4?

CentOS 5 is no longer supported, so it isn't distributed to the mirros
anymore.  Also, 5.4 was released in 2009, and even when CentOS5 *WAS*
supported, you should have installed 5.11, the latest release.

If you say that you've got someone telling you MUST use CentOS 5.4,
then I suggest finding another product to support.

There's a hint as to what you would need to do, if you still want to
run an insecure and unsupportable product:

>From http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5/readme :

  This directory (and version of CentOS) is depreciated.

  CentOS-5 is now past EOL

  You can get the last released version of centos 5.11 here:

  http://vault.centos.org/5.11/

  Please NOTE:  this is not being maintained for security since moving to Vault.
  It will have security issues, you should upgrade to a new version instead.