[CentOS] get pdftk into (or from) a repo

Sat May 13 18:38:43 UTC 2017
ken <gebser at mousecar.com>

On 05/12/2017 03:39 AM, Philippe BOURDEU d'AGUERRE wrote:
> Le 12/05/2017 à 02:46, ken a écrit :
>> It's worth mentioning that this is a really nice utility for
>> manipulating PDFs, taking them apart, rearranging them, putting pages
>> together, and a whole lot more.  I've used it hundreds of times.
>> Probably anyone who has to work with PDFs would have need of it.
>
> In Centos 7, poppler-utils RPM has pdfdetach and pdfunite utilities
> which allow to manipulate pages in a pdf.

That's great to know.  Linux should have multiple ways to do one and the
same thing.  In a free world we shouldn't be dependent on just one
solution.  Indeed, pdfedit is another app for manipulating PDFs.  Having
skimmed through the docs on these and others mentioned in this thread,
none of them can, in addition, rotate selected pages (i.e., turn them by
90, 180, or 270 degrees), plus select pages by the keywords "odd" and
"even".  The GIMP can be used to rotate PDFs, but it's a PITA to do it
there and it can't natively select and then so manipulate multiple PDF
pages programmatically.

Rather than my repeated replying to this thread, docs on pdftk can be
found at https://www.pdflabs.com/tools/pdftk-the-pdf-toolkit/.