[CentOS] Kickstart ksdevice question

Mark Haney mark.haney at neonova.net
Wed Nov 1 14:47:11 UTC 2017

On 11/01/2017 10:28 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Nux! wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> ksdevice specifies which NIC to be used during the network install.
>>
>> The new naming conventions indeed make this more complicated than it needs
>> to be. To go back to the old naming scheme (eth0, eth1 ...) just add this
>> to boot parameters (kernel cmdline):
>> biosdevname=0 net.ifnames=0
> Yes! Actually, the other admin I work with and I were just bitching about
> that a few minutes ago. I have no idea who thought the new enpxsyz was a
> "good idea", but for 99% of us, I look at the back of a system, and I want
> to know which one. the enxyz is significantly less than useful.
>
> Now, if only there were some tool, like there used to be HERD, to figure
> out on my supermicro which DIMM is complaining.... You'd think IMPI would
> do it, but nooooo....
>
>          mark

It's funny you should mention that vendor because we use only SuperMicro
servers here.  The really good thing about that is that our boxes, the
interfaces are eno1 & eno2 and not the ridiculous enp2s0abcdefhwtf
convention on VMs and such.  It was easy to remember, even if
counter-intuitive since if you're like most people who've been in this
business long enough, interfaces (and arrays) always start with 0.  To
me, eno1 is the second interface and I have to actually pause to rethink
things because of that.

--
Mark Haney
Network Engineer at NeoNova