[CentOS] low end file server with h/w RAID - recommendations

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Nov 2 17:47:39 UTC 2017

hw wrote:
> Richard Zimmerman wrote:
>> hw wrote:
>>> Next question: you want RAID, how much storage do you need? Will 4 or 8
>>> 3.5" drives be enough (DO NOT GET crappy 2.5" drives - they're *much*
>>> more expensive than the 3.5" drives, and >smaller disk space. For the
>>> price of a 1TB 2.5", I can get at least a 4TB WD Red.
>>
>> I will second Marks comments here. Yes, 2.5" drive enterprise drives
>> have been an issue. +1 for the WD Red drives, so far 3.5" w/ 2tb and 4tb
>> drives, ZERO issues. I've had good luck with HGST NAS drives too.
>> Unfortunately, that will come to an end soon (With WD owning HGST).
>
> Most servers can fit only 2.5" disks these days.  I keep wondering what
> everyone is doing about storage.

Sorry, that depends 100% on what you *order*. We tell our resellers that
we want 3.5" drives, that's what we get. All the vendors, intluding Dell,
and the smaller ones, online you can configure what you want, to price it
out, and they *all* offer 3.5" drives.

The only 2.5" drives that we're ok with getting are the two internal SSD's
for RAID 1 for the o/s, and nothing else.

You may not be talking to the right sales folks.