[CentOS] low end file server with h/w RAID - recommendations

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Nov 2 17:57:23 UTC 2017

Richard Zimmerman wrote:
>>Most servers can fit only 2.5" disks these days.  I keep wondering what
>> everyone is doing about storage.
>
> The DL20 gen9 I bought was setup LFF (3.5")
>
> The DL380 gen9 could be either SFF (2.5) or LFF. I had to buy SFF for our
> new server due I was told to spec / build it exact to vendor
> recommendation.
>
> To better? Answer this. Agreed, I'm not a fanboy of 2.5" stuff in
> enterprise equipment. To me a better but more costly answer would be setup
> a LFF SAN server and go from there.
>
> My employer is a SMB (60 people?) and our storage is exploding at times.
> SAN's can give more economical storage and flexibility. Especially since
> were considering fail-over scenarios for not only our Windows ERP software
> but our all Linux based :) file servers.

Storage.... Ok, I'll give a plug to one of our favorite vendors: AC&NC,
who manufacture JetStor.They're RAID appliances, very nice internal
webserver to manages, and yes, it can send emails. The prices are *very*
reasonable, cheaper than Dell, or HP, or even NetApp. Lessee, we just
bought a couple, one for a new system, one for a backup thereof. Each of
them ran just over $12k, with 12 10TB SAS drives, and a DAS card. And they
are both reliable and *last*. We did just finally retire the one pair that
had a true SCSI connection....

       mark