[CentOS] C6 and xfce

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Tue Nov 14 13:36:53 UTC 2017

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 08:02:40AM -0500, mark wrote:
> On 11/13/17 18:34, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> > My guess is: you ran "startx".  That starts a session as the user that
> > runs "startx"
>
> Excuse me, but there's no need for insults. You know perfectly well that I'm
> a professional sysadmin, and that I've been here for years.
>
> It's a Netbook. I yum groupinstalled xfce, created an
> /etc/sysconfig/desktop, added a line in /etc/X11/prefdm to include xfce,
> copying one of the other lines, and rebooted. It came in in runlevel 5, no
> login.
>
> In other words, what I'd do with any other display manager.

I believe that's the mistake you made, you told prefdm to start xfce
instead of a display manager, which is what the prefdm upstart service
starts.  As far as I know, xfce doesn't include a display manager.

Normally, you'd start xfce from gdm (since its part of the default
desktop install) but you could always use xdm to do so as well.  I
believe you'll need to update your ~/.Xclients or ~/.xsession for
per-user configs, or change the default in /etc/sysconfig/desktop.

(It's been a couple years since I've touched a el6 desktop so I might
be wrong here.)