[CentOS] Admins supporting both RHEL and CentOS

Pete Biggs pete at biggs.org.uk
Thu Nov 30 08:50:10 UTC 2017

> No, it's Varian/Agilent. A big player in lab instruments.
>
> Funny thing, just googled them and apparently they've opensoured the culprit
> software, and according to the below link, it's not locked to a particular
> point release anymore!
>
> http://openvnmrj.org/Downloading/
>
> It does however still require the original software - which _is_ locked to a
> particular point release. Dammit', so close!

Yes, our spectrometers that run VNMRJ are not allowed directly on the
network.  They are tucked away safely behind a NAT'd firewall with very
few ports open and access is only allowed by proxy ssh from a few IP
addresses (for some reason the users want to retrieve their data from
it!).  The extra cost of a firewall is nothing compared to the cost of
the instrument.

P.