[CentOS] Kickstart ksdevice question

Wed Nov 1 13:35:04 UTC 2017
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>

Once upon a time, Mark Haney <mark.haney at neonova.net> said:
> This should be easy to answer (I hope).  We routinely kickstart
> boxes to use for managing our customers RADIUS/DHCP configurations
> (along with other things).  We've had a C7 kickstart in place since
> I built one in May and are finally starting to roll it out for new
> installations.  But, I'm curious as to what ksdevice= actually does.

It just sets the NIC that the installer tries to bring up to fetch a
kickstart file from the network (and then the rest of a network install,
if you don't override it in the kickstart).

If you are PXE booting using pxelinux, add "ipappend 2" to your
pxelinux.cfg stanza and "ksdevice=bootif" to the append line.  With
that, pxelinux will add the MAC address of the PXE NIC to the kernel
command line, and the installer will pick that up and use the matching
interface for the rest of the kickstart.

--
Chris Adams <linux at cmadams.net>