[CentOS] HP laptops with CentOS 7?

Mon Nov 6 15:30:34 UTC 2017

On Mon, November 6, 2017 1:01 am, Sorin Srbu wrote:
> [...]

Hm, I regret to hear you are outsourcing your IT tasks too...

> I'm quite happy to leave all printing problems behind me.
> Printers seem to be a never-ending source of problems...

Even though "printing is the darkest page of IT book", if you set them up
right, you will rarely have any problems. Namely:

1. Configure all printer to not accept jobs (or talk to) any machines
except for your UNIX print server

2. On print server make sure to use protocols to talk to printers that do
not time out and stop CUPS queue. E.g., jetdirect (port 9100) never will.

3. On print server set some restrictions so to fend off those who
shouldn't print to your printers. Restricting in local firewall on print
server machine access to print ports to local subnets of your Department
is one of the measures.

I am setting stuff like above for at least a decade and a half and do not
have to resolve printing problems. Originally I have to configure printing
on users machines (Linux workstations get that from kickstart file upon
build), and sometimes I have to explain users that they can not print from
home: if you can not pick up your print job, you shouldn't be printing it.

That said, I do have to mention: way back (almost two decades back) you
couldn't configure access on some of HP printers... but sysadmin can
always find workaround: I gave in printer configuration as gateway the IP
of print server (which was on the same subnet) instead of real gateway of
network, and that did it: printer was talking only to print server. When
there is a will, there is a way.

Thanks.
Valeri