[CentOS] HP laptops with CentOS 7?

Tue Nov 7 06:41:11 UTC 2017
Sorin Srbu <Sorin.Srbu at orgfarm.uu.se>

Nah, I have plenty of other stuff to do.

> > I'm quite happy to leave all printing problems behind me.
> > Printers seem to be a never-ending source of problems...
> >

> Even though "printing is the darkest page of IT book", if you set them up
> right, you will rarely have any problems. Namely:
>
> 1. Configure all printer to not accept jobs (or talk to) any machines
> except for your UNIX print server
>
> 2. On print server make sure to use protocols to talk to printers that do
> not time out and stop CUPS queue. E.g., jetdirect (port 9100) never will.
>
> 3. On print server set some restrictions so to fend off those who
> shouldn't print to your printers. Restricting in local firewall on print
> server machine access to print ports to local subnets of your Department
> is one of the measures.

When I first started at this job almost twenty years ago fresh out of
IT-school, I had an idea to use a Windows print server as this was what I
knew.
I wasn't trusted with the *nix farm yet then.
Over the years I have tried at least once a year to get our Linux-computers
to talk to our AD-connected Windows Servers, but haven't quite made it yet.
I've also tried to get the AD-connected Windows-clients to talk to a Linux
print server to no avail. Granted it's been awhile now since I tried. Maybe
I'll give it another go. Both the Windows and Linux OS:es have developed
quite a bit the last ten years...

--
//Sorin