[CentOS] how to prevent files and directories from being deleted?

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Mon Oct 9 21:49:54 UTC 2017

On 09/10/2017 12:38, hw wrote:

>> 4. Finally, if you as a sysadmin are using a package from a repo that
>> isn't CentOS or EPEL, and this package is not following the CentOS
>> packaging protocol for data in /run, then it is YOUR own responsibility
>> to fix the package, or create your own tmpfiles.d snippet to create the
>> required directories.
>
> Lighttpd is from epel.

Then it's a big bug, and you should immediately file a bug report for
it, so that the packager can fix it. Packages in CentOS as well as EPEL
aren't perfect, and sometimes need to be fixed. We can help by filing
bug reports.

> I´m not whining, and it´s not my fault that someone came up with the
> extremely stupid idea to use a ramdisk for /var/run.  It´s also not my
> fault that lighttpd appears not to be packaged the way it would need to
> be, and the same goes for the mariadb packages provided for Centos by
> the mariadb people.

CentOS 7 was released in August 2015, which is over 2 years ago. Any
package that hasn't adapted to CentOS 7's temporary /var/run by now is
badly broken. I would either avoid using it, or file a bug report for it
(and use my own tmpfiles.d file in the meantime).

Or, you can download the SRPM of the package, introduce a tmpfiles.d
snippet and rebuild the package yourself.

You have many choices to make it work properly.

> Perhaps you should complain to whomever made this change for not waiting
> until all packages have been modified and to the package managers who
> didn´t modify them before actually deploying it, for not to mention the
> stupidity of the idea, rather than accusing me of whining.

I shouldn't, because I'm not using the package in question. I *have*
used other packages from EPEL, where I've seen this problem, and I've
filed bug reports for them, repackaged them myself, or used my own
custom tmpfiles.d file to work around the package's deficiency.

Anand