[CentOS] /var/run/... being deleted :((

Fri Oct 13 14:02:21 UTC 2017
Michael Hennebry <hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu>

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017, Lamar Owen wrote:

> If the maintainers of packages that want to run well on CentOS 7 need to have
> /var/run/$some-file persistence (or pseudo-persistence, which is the current
> behavior enabled by re-creating said files) then those maintainers will need
> to change their packages to match actual behavior or file a bug report with
> upstream to change the behavior.  Upstream will probably close with a
> 'WONTFIX' and the package maintainer will either change packaging or stop
> supporting CentOS 7.  Of course, stranger things have happened, and upstream
> might relent on the decision.  But my gut feel is that upstream will keep the
> current behavior and the packages will eventually be changed to support it,
> but I always reserve the right to be wrong.

I see at least two possible intermediate results:
The RHEL 7 folks do something, perhaps make a package,
to  make pseudo-persistence super easy to get.
The RHEL 7 folks do something, perhaps make a package,
to allow users to fix this particular problem, e.g.
by adding pseudo-persisitence for a file used by a package.

My guess is that neither would have to be done by the RHEL 7 folks.
They might want to to ensure that neither gets done badly.

"Sorry but your password must contain an uppercase letter, a number,
a haiku, a gang sign, a heiroglyph, and the blood of a virgin."
                                                              --  someeecards