[CentOS] /var/run/... being deleted :((

Fri Oct 13 16:45:30 UTC 2017
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 10/13/2017 10:19 AM, Anand Buddhdev wrote:
> ..
> Stop trying to force a square peg into a round hole.
Whee, I just _know_ I'm going to be positively skewered (and maybe even
plonked!) for this.... but, hey, it's Friday, and this post is meant to
be a bit funny.  So lighten up, and enjoy a short read.

obHumor: I actually have a piece of furniture (a small table) with
square pegs in round holes.  The spaces between the sides of the square
peg and the round hole are filled with a color-contrasting glue, and the
result is rather pretty.  :-)  I intentionally picked this furniture
specifically because of the square pegs in the round holes.....

obHistory: Cobblers making boots back in the mid to late 1800's would
often use square wooden pegs in round leather holes (typically for the
thick leather soles of the boots) so that the peg would 'swage' it's own
hole and fit tighter, thus holding better than a round peg ever could.
(Reference: "Farmer Boy", Laura Ingalls Wilder, Chapter titled 'Cobbler'
(hey, I have five kids; my wife and I have read through the whole series
five times!) which, after reading through it with my eldest child back
in 2000 or so I decided to never use the 'square pegs in rounds holes'
proverb ever again!).  (There are other historical instances of square
pegs being better for round holes than round pegs, especially when you
didn't want the peg to rotate in the hole).

Anyway, a form of pseudo-persistence that meets the OP's needs is
already supported directly by systemd-tmpfiles, which is a part of the
core systemd package and non-optional, so your vehement disagreement is
moot, sorry.  The round hole already has a square-peg adapter, at least
in CentOS 7.  Packagers just need to select the proper 'adapter' for
systemd-tmpfiles; the adaptation is not (and should not be, in my
opinion) automatic.