[CentOS] cyrus spool on btrfs?

Thu Sep 7 18:12:21 UTC 2017
Mark Haney <mark.haney at neonova.net>

On 09/07/2017 01:57 PM, hw wrote:

> Hi,
>
> is there anything that speaks against putting a cyrus mail spool onto a
> btrfs subvolume?

I might be the lone voice on this, but I refuse to use btrfs for
anything, much less a mail spool. I used it in production on DB and Web
servers and fought corruption issues and scrubs hanging the system more
times than I can count.  (This was within the last 24 months.)  I was
told by certain mailing lists, that btrfs isn't considered production
level.  So, I scrapped the lot, went to xfs and haven't had a problem
since.

I'm not sure why you'd want your mail spool on a filesystem and seems to
hate being hammered with reads/writes.  Personally, on all my mail
spools, I use XFS or EXT4.  OUr servers here handle 600million messages
a month without trouble on those filesystems.

Just my $0.02.
--

Mark Haney
Network Engineer at NeoNova