[CentOS] cyrus spool on btrfs?

Fri Sep 8 11:45:01 UTC 2017
hw <hw at gc-24.de>

Mark Haney wrote:
> On 09/07/2017 01:57 PM, hw wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there anything that speaks against putting a cyrus mail spool onto a
>> btrfs subvolume?
>>
> I might be the lone voice on this, but I refuse to use btrfs for anything, much less a mail spool. I used it in production on DB and Web servers and fought corruption issues and scrubs hanging the system more times than I can count.  (This was within the last 24 months.)  I was told by certain mailing lists, that btrfs isn't considered production level.  So, I scrapped the lot, went to xfs and haven't had a problem since.
>
> I'm not sure why you'd want your mail spool on a filesystem and seems to hate being hammered with reads/writes.  Personally, on all my mail spools, I use XFS or EXT4.  OUr servers here handle 600million messages a month without trouble on those filesystems.
>
> Just my $0.02.

Btrfs appears rather useful because the disks are SSDs, because it
allows me to create subvolumes and because it handles SSDs nicely.
Unfortunately, the SSDs are not suited for hardware RAID.

The only alternative I know is xfs or ext4 on mdadm and no subvolumes,
and md RAID has severe performance penalties which I´m not willing to
afford.

Part of the data I plan to store on these SSDs greatly benefits from
the low latency, making things about 20--30 times faster for an important
application.

So what should I do?