[CentOS] cyrus spool on btrfs?

Fri Sep 8 13:05:14 UTC 2017
Mark Haney <mark.haney at neonova.net>

I hate top posting, but since you've got two items I want to comment on,
I'll suck it up for now.

Having SSDs alone will give you great performance regardless of
filesystem.  BTRFS isn't going to impact I/O any more significantly
than, say, XFS.  It does have serious stability/data integrity issues
that XFS doesn't have.  There's no reason not to use SSDs for storage of
immediate data and mechanical drives for archival data storage.

As for VMs we run a huge Zimbra cluster in VMs on VPC with large primary
SSD volumes and even larger (and slower) secondary volumes for archived
mail.  It's all CentOS 6 and works very well.  We process 600 million
emails a month on that virtual cluster.  All EXT4 inside LVM.

I can't tell you what to do, but it seems to me you're viewing your
setup from a narrow SSD/BTRFS standpoint.  Lots of ways to skin that cat.

--
Mark Haney
Network Engineer at NeoNova
mark.haney at neonova.net