[CentOS] owncloud on CentOS - I have problems installing/updating recently

Fri Sep 22 10:14:25 UTC 2017
James Hogarth <james.hogarth at gmail.com>

On 22 September 2017 at 06:28, Sorin Srbu <Sorin.Srbu at orgfarm.uu.se> wrote:

> [...]

I know that many prefer EPEL packages but sometimes life gets ahead of us...

So far as owncloud in EPEL/CentOS is concerned it's not actually lagging
that badly ... the most recent 9.1.X release is 9.1.6 and it's only a few
minor bugfixes for the large part over the 9.1.5 in the EPEL repo.

https://owncloud.org/changelog/

Do note that when I push 9.1.6 (which will be soon now I have a little
time) it'll probably be close to the last owncloud package in EPEL7 at the
least ... I'll include an EOL/retirement notice in the package when I get
around to it and will mail here and epel-devel and epel-announce mailing
lists.

The 10.x release of owncloud bumps the minimum PHP version to 5.6 ... which
is obviously not in base repos and I'm not permitted to depend on packages
in SCL or 3rd party repos in EPEL.

The nextcloud package is in a worse state as things stand ... the version
that can be in EPEL is officially EOL ... I'll push out a 10.0.6 release
soon with the EOL notice and email about this. From 11 onwards they require
PHP5.6+ as well.

For now my recommendation for owncloud or nextcloud is to use their most
recent manual tarball/zip install and PHP 7.1 from your preferred choice of
IUS, RemiRepo or SCL ... or run their official containers.

I hope to have a container option soon(ish) as part of the Fedora Container
Service initiative that would allow you to run the Fedora based version
easily, which would bypass the PHP version issues.... but that needs me to
have time to get all the dependency issues sorted and carry out the Fedora
upgrades.

Reminder that I have a job and family and 2 year old daughter ... time to
do all this is precious and if you want to see this happen then help is
always welcome :)

James