[CentOS] Semi-OT: install python package in userspace

Valeri Galtsev galtsev at kicp.uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 6 18:21:12 UTC 2018

On 04/06/18 11:53, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Richard Demeny wrote:
>> Just sudo it
>>
>> On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 17:25 , <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>>
>>> CentOS 7 box. As there's no package in any of the repos, we're trying to
>>> install scikit-learn in the user's space. It refuses. My late try was,
>>> after d/l a .whl from last year, hoping that would work with the numpy
>>> package in the regular repos, I did a pip install --user
>>> scikit-learn...,
>>> and it still seems to want to write to system space: OSError: [Errno 13]
>>> Permission denied:
>>> '/usr/lib64/python2.7/site-packages/numpy-1.7.1.dist-info
>>>
>>> Anyone got any pointers?
>>>
> First, this is a mailing list, not Outlook. Please don't top post.
>
> Second, No. You do not appear to understand the issues.
>
> I am *NOT* installing it as root. This is my manager's approach, and I
> agree with it. As it's not a package, in a std. repo, it would not be
> updated for bugfixes, and, far more critically, security fixes, when we do
> that every month. That's why we want it installed in the user's space.
>
> These are servers, used by many researchers, not someone's home Linux box.
> And even at home, I wouldn't install it that way.
>
> And I want him to use the system numpy, not install a newer one, that
> would also have the same update issues. Btw, numpy in the std. repos
> hasn't been seen a package update since 2015, which is why I'm trying to
> install a scikit-learn from last year....

Mark, python is a "sneaky snake" ;-) and some modules may require
particular version of dependencies, therefore they may ignore your
system wide numpy (even though it may just may be compatible with them),
and may demand latest version of numpy. Which will explain pip (or
other) attempting to pull dependencies which allegedly are available
system wide already.

Just speculating, your own research on your particular issue may give
your better answer.

And yes, I second that, system administration and maintaining one's own
laptop are ultimately different things, luckily majority of my users
refrain from telling me what they googled up about problem they report,
but not everybody, so I definitely have the same feelings about the
advice someone gave you ;-)

I hope, this helps.

Valeri

>         mark