[CentOS] Down C6 ALL without torrent ?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Apr 25 13:40:57 UTC 2018

On 04/18/2018 09:58 PM, Always Learning wrote:
> It would be nice to have everything (part 1 and part 2) on the same
> bootable USB stick.
You should be able to install most things with just DVD1, and there are
good instructions on the CentOS Wiki about how to go about generating
the USB stick ( https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey ),
although I use ddrescue over just dd since it will optimize the
blocksize for a bit faster read and write.

There is a CentOS Wiki article on the subject of merging split ISOs into
a single ISO; see https://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/CDtoDVDMedia
(this covers merging multiple ISOs into a single ISO, which was
originally most useful for taking multiple CDs and making a single DVD,
but also works for merging two DVD ISOs into a single DVD ISO; I have
used this script before).  Note that some have reported 'Insert Disc 2'
prompts during kickstart installations, so it is possible that if you
select something that is on DVD2 it may ask for DVD2 during install; I
haven't tried it in so long that I don't know what it will do with
current CentOS 6.  I used this scripts years ago for merging CentOS 4
and 5 media to DVD for installation, and the basic structures in C6
still work with it.  You need 3X the space of the full distribution
size; enough for the two source DVDs, plus the unpacked package tree,
plus the output single DVD.

As to DVD installation, are you sure the server has a DVD drive and not
just a CD drive?  (I have run into this before, with a fairly recent
server).  I have also run into media compatibility issues where the
DVD-ROM drive would not read the DVD media I was using; I have also run
into DVD drives being sensitive to +R versus -R as well as the speed of
the DVD writing.  DVD writers will have better compatibility, and most
servers can have those as options if an optical bay is even included.