[CentOS] Down C6 ALL without torrent ?

John Hodrien J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Apr 19 08:40:09 UTC 2018

On Thu, 19 Apr 2018, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On Wed, April 18, 2018 8:36 pm, Always Learning wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a machine with a BIOS that does not permit DVD installation. It
>> accepts everything else including some old superseded media types.
>>
>> Is it possible to download C6 combined parts 1 and 2 not using Torrent ?
>>
>> I have an aversion to using anything that comes from unknown sources, as
>> used by Torrent.
>
> Paul, you can go directly to the mirror server I maintain, it allows
> direct download of DVD images:
>
> http://bay.uchicago.edu/centos
>
> You may prefer mirror geographically closer to you.

Can we also challenge this "torrents are untrustworthy" attitude.

You can be given an ISO from a shady character under a railway bridge, and as
long as the ISO matches the checksums you can source directly from the CentOS
https site (https://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS7), it's as
good as any other copy that's ever been in existence.

Why is a torrent source any worse than a copy off any of the official mirrors?

Also, why not just make your life easy and do a netinstall?  That way you
don't have to try to do anything you're not comfortable with.

jh