[CentOS] Down C6 ALL without torrent ?

Thu Apr 19 22:59:51 UTC 2018
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On 19 April 2018 at 05:04, Always Learning <centos at u68.u22.net> wrote:

>> Can we also challenge this "torrents are untrustworthy" attitude.
>
> Having, successfully so far, resisted/repelled several devious attacks
> from the Russians, I am keen to maintain a clean, and thus secure,
> system as possible.
>
>> You can be given an ISO from a shady character under a railway bridge,
>
> I'd throw it away unused. Do not want the associated risks.
>
>> Also, why not just make your life easy and do a netinstall?
>
> That's a good idea. Never done one of them before. I can put C6 on a CD
> and a USB and boot from either.
>
>>  That way you
>> don't have to try to do anything you're not comfortable with.
>
> Comfort-ability is not my criteria. The BIOS is supposed to be 4 or 5
> years old. It won't boot from DVDs, yet it will boot from zip disks and
> other historic relics (LH120, I think one of the other choices was).

As with others.. this sounds 15 years old. If it says it is 4 or 5
years old.. I would be more leery of the hardware than torrents.  (And
I am very very leery of torrents but mostly because I spend  time
explaining to people that if your university blocks them I can't fix
it for you). In any case, I would do the following:

Get a cdrom with CD1 data as this installs 99% of my systems I have
dealt with. [I think out of a couple hundred, that 2 or 3 needed
anything from the second disk when installing some obscure thing.] The
second disk is mostly stuff you can install later. If you need more
than that, you need to mirror the distribution locally and set up a
pxe/tftpboot system which points to that mirror.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.