[CentOS] Can't configure GDM after update to CentOS 7.6

Thu Dec 6 17:54:00 UTC 2018
John Hodrien <J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk>

On Thu, 6 Dec 2018, Alice Wonder wrote:

> I don't understand why Red Hat makes these kind of changes in point releases
> - yet they won't update OpenSSL or PHP or Postfix in a point release.

Rebasing Gnome3 regularly I think has been one of Red Hat's best decisions,
and one I can easily imagine a committee deciding against for reasons of
wanting to minimise risk.

Do you remember just how bad Gnome3 was in RHEL 7.0?  It was unstable and
insecure, certainly when used with nvidia drivers.  I can't see how you could
justify the effort it would have required to effectively support an
unsupported version of Gnome3, and backporting I think would have been more
than deeply unpleasant.

They made a mistake in omitting a patch that wasn't caught in qa, and that's a
shame.  But then let's be honest, how many Red Hat customers actually use this
feature?  I do use it, and I didn't pick it up in my own testing, as our
deployment must have created the directories as we had no issues.

jh