[CentOS] Slightly OT : write bootable CentOS USB disk under Windows 10 and Mac OS X ?

Nicolas Kovacs

info at microlinux.fr
Thu Jun 7 15:39:29 UTC 2018

Hi,

I'm currently writing my fourth book about Linux, for the french editor
Eyrolles. The book will cover Linux server basics for pros, and it will
be based on CentOS 7.

I have a quick question to those of you who use either Windows 10 or Mac
OS X as their everyday desktop system.

How do you write a bootable CentOS USB disk using either Windows 10 or
Mac OS X ?

I've googled this, of course, and there's quite a lot of possible
solutions out there, so I'm curious about a more or less *orthodox* way
of doing things.

Me, I've been 100 % GNU/Linux since 2001, CentOS is running on my
workstation and on my laptop, and I'm simply writing the ISO file to a
USB stick using dd if=CentOS-XXXX.iso of=/dev/sdX.

Thanks & cheers,

Niki
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Site : https://www.microlinux.fr