[CentOS] C7, encryption, and clevis

m.roth at 5-cent.us

Fri Jun 8 14:47:30 UTC 2018

We've been required to encrypt h/ds, and so have been rolling that out
over the last year or so. Thing is, you need to put in a password, of
course, to boot the system. My manager found a way to allow us to reboot
without being at the system's keyboard, a package called clevis. Works
fine... except in a couple of very special cases.

Those systems, the problem is that, due to older software, and *very*
expensive licenses that are tied to a MAC address, I have to spoof the MAC
address since my users got new(er) machines.

Clevis is trying to contact its password server, using the *real* MAC
address, but our DHCP has to serve the *spoofed* MAC address. I know, from
trying, that I can't have two entries for the same system. Can anyone
suggest a solution?

     mark