[CentOS] RADIUS

Thu Mar 1 15:57:27 UTC 2018
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On 1 March 2018 at 08:42, hw <hw at gc-24.de> wrote:

> I didn´t say I want that, and I don´t know yet what I want.  A captive
> portal may
> be nice, but I haven´t found a way to set one up yet, and I don´t have an
> access
> point controller which would provide one, so I can´t tell if that´s the
> right
> solution.

This is the problem with this entire thread in a nutshell. You don't
know what you want but what you have articulated at various points is
that you do know what you want. You then state something that won't
work because of some factor or another. People then correct you on
that, and you then get hostile because you were just thinking out loud
but no one knew that. Thinking out loud works ok in real life because
we give special queues like looking abstractly or being able to say
"Oh no I am just thinking out loud" right away. Instead in email none
of that happens and people get more and more hostile and angry
thinking the other side is trying to make them do completely opposite.

Let us try starting over. You may have answered these in other places,
but people need to see them in one place at one time versus trying to
look through cache of other emails.

What do you want?
What are your constraints? [AKA what have you been told to do.]
When do you need it?
What is the environment that it is to run in?
What research have you done (with references)?

Then people will have a better ability to answer:
What have others done to meet those needs?
How have they implemented it?

Then ask
What other things do you need for me to help?

People can then ask questions about things you didn't fully explain.
This is helpful because going from the previous emails your phrasing
made it sound like you needed unknown people to not be able to get
onto the network until they were authenticated, but authentication
requires them to be on a network, but you can't allow them to be on
any network until they are authenticated. That may not be what you
mean (on the other hand, I have had that conundrum given to me at a
job and we had to spend 3 months convincing the boss(es) that was
impossible with the tools we had (and probably impossible without)).