[CentOS] RADIUS

Thu Mar 1 17:26:49 UTC 2018
hw <hw at gc-24.de>

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On 1 March 2018 at 08:42, hw <hw at gc-24.de> wrote:
>

>> I didn´t say I want that, and I don´t know yet what I want.  A captive
>> portal may
>> be nice, but I haven´t found a way to set one up yet, and I don´t have an
>> access
>> point controller which would provide one, so I can´t tell if that´s the
>> right
>> solution.
>>

> This is the problem with this entire thread in a nutshell. You don't
> know what you want but what you have articulated at various points is
> that you do know what you want. You then state something that won't
> work because of some factor or another. People then correct you on
> that, and you then get hostile because you were just thinking out loud
> but no one knew that. Thinking out loud works ok in real life because
> we give special queues like looking abstractly or being able to say
> "Oh no I am just thinking out loud" right away. Instead in email none
> of that happens and people get more and more hostile and angry
> thinking the other side is trying to make them do completely opposite.
>
> Let us try starting over. You may have answered these in other places,
> but people need to see them in one place at one time versus trying to
> look through cache of other emails.
>
> What do you want?

I was asking for documentation telling me how RADIUS can be used, not only
that it can be used.

> What are your constraints? [AKA what have you been told to do.]

The task is to provide wireless coverage for employees and customers on
company premises.  It is desirable to be able to keep track of customers,
as in knowing where exactly on the premises they currently are (within
like 3--5 feet, which is apparently tough), and simpler things like knowing
how long they stay and if they have been on the premises before.  To avoid
legal issues, it is probably advisable that customers need to agree to
some sort of terms of usage.

It is desirable to be able to know where employees currently are, though
it doesn´t neeed to be as precise.

> When do you need it?

There´s no given time frame; it´s as soon as possible and preferably
this year.

It is necessary to (re-)do the entire network infrastructure before wireless
coverage can be achieved, one of the reasons being that it is currently
impossible to use VLANs all over the place.

> What is the environment that it is to run in?

a shopping area

Some of the wireless access points may need to take part in what is
apparently called a mesh to be able to supply remote parts of the premises.

> What research have you done (with references)?

I searched for documenation about how to actually use RADIUS and didn´t
find any.  I´ve asked for pointers to such documentation here.
I´ve read the RADUIS admin guide.  I´ve done a test setup by installing
RADIUS and configuring a switch to use it to authenticate users logging
into the switch via ssh and found it works fine.  I have set up a couple
access points in a test setup which currently provide wireless access for
employees and wireless internet access for customers around some points
of the premises.  I found out what a captive portal is.

> Then people will have a better ability to answer:
> What have others done to meet those needs?
> How have they implemented it?
>
> Then ask
> What other things do you need for me to help?
>
> People can then ask questions about things you didn't fully explain.
> This is helpful because going from the previous emails your phrasing
> made it sound like you needed unknown people to not be able to get
> onto the network until they were authenticated, but authentication
> requires them to be on a network, but you can't allow them to be on
> any network until they are authenticated. That may not be what you
> mean (on the other hand, I have had that conundrum given to me at a
> job and we had to spend 3 months convincing the boss(es) that was
> impossible with the tools we had (and probably impossible without)).

That is what using RADIUS apparently leads to when you have devices using
PXE boot.  Maybe they need to be considered as a security risk and be
replaced.

Unauthenticated people are easier to handle because people can provide
credentials for authentication without PXE booting them first and do not
access the network without a device (unless they mess with the very network
hardware, using cables to create loops or accidentially cutting them or
unplugging them or whatever --- people do all kinds of things, with
authentication and without ...).

Devices with network access are much more dangerous than unauthenticated
people because such devices could be used by such people to also gain network
access, or they could try to have bad effects on the network.

So everthing is dangerous, authenticated or not.