[CentOS] CentOS 7.5 (1804) and NetworkManager

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue May 15 12:36:13 UTC 2018

On 15 May 2018 at 06:40, Nicolas Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running CentOS on all kinds of setups: servers, workstations,
> desktops and laptops.
>
> Up until now, I'm only using NetworkManager on laptops, since it makes
> sense to use it there. On servers and desktop clients, I usually remove
> it and configure the network "traditionally" by simply editing
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-whatever, /etc/resolv.conf,
> /etc/hosts, /etc/hostname and /etc/sysconfig/network. Running
> NetworkManager on anything else than a laptop has never made any sense
> to me, since it's basically an extra layer of abstraction.
>
> With the latest update, the removal of NetworkManager on a desktop
> client isn't possible anymore, since 'yum remove NetworkManager' also
> tries to remove 'gdm', and disabling it on startup spews back all sorts
> of errors.
>
> If you folks at Red Hat are reading this, I have one question: WHY ?

The latest RHEL releases are getting rebased with newer Gnome and
other components. Those are more interlinked with NetworkManager and
other helper tools to work towards a less bag of potatoes and other
junk approach.

This isn't to say this is the right thing. It is just a statement of
why things are and where they seem to be going.

> Niki Kovacs
> --
> Microlinux - Solutions informatiques durables
> 7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
> Site : https://www.microlinux.fr
> Blog : https://blog.microlinux.fr
> Mail : info at microlinux.fr